tracker

Monday, April 27, 2009

Weigh-in Day...and thoughts!

Okay, so I was disappointed when I first got on the scale this morning. It said 269.4, but I got back on right before I left for my final exam...266.6. I got back on a few more times to make sure that was the correct weight...and IT WAS! yay!

So now, I'm totally motivated and excited. That's a big loss...5 pounds! WW online wags its finger at losing more than 2 lbs/week, but at the meetings, my leader would congratulate big losses. I guess as long as you do not lose more than 2 lbs/week over a long period of time.

Well, I am challenging myself NOT to use exams as an excuse for me to pig out and gain for next week's weigh-in. As a matter of fact, I'm going to try to go to the gym after every exam this week...except today. I need to use today to write a paper for my economic problems class.


So, I hope whoever is reading this blog is enjoying the music...if it's annoying, just pause it! I just thought since this blog is about me, how I feel, and what I like/dislike, I would put up the music that I like. Most of it's TLC, but I will probably put up some more at another time.


Random thought: My first exam was in my racial minorities class, and the essay and short answer questions were SO much easier than the multiple choice questions.

Anyhow, the more I get into sociology, the more and more I love it. You can apply it to almost everything...Sociology of Sports course??? okay then! I've been analyzing all the music I listen to lately...don't judge me (tee hee). I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I plan on going to a School of Public Health to get a Master's in Public Health Education and Behavioral Science. There are so many sociological factors that go into what choices people make (such as eating habits, sexual behavior, exercise), and I can't wait to dive into the study and application of it all...i'm a nerd, sorry! College is such a great place to be, there is so much at your fingertips...of course, being in Starkville, MS isn't like being in ATL (which is where I want to go after here...Emory University, baby!). My internship this summer in Mobile should give me good insight into actual research and working with people of interest...super excited.


Now, back to music...music is such a creative outlet! Hopefully, you've at least listened to the first song playing on my page. It's called "Sumthin Wicked This Way Comes" by TLC (Andre 3000 from Outkast raps at the beginning). It's talking about gangs, people judging others, the ways of the world, nostalgia to how it used to be. I wish more artists would focus on making people aware of the bad things going on. Yeah, it's a fact that police usually go after black and Hispanic people; if you have money, you can afford cars, clothes, a big house, bling; and if you have the right looks or ASSets, you can take somebody's man. But there is so much more going on in America. AIDS is still out of control, people are losing homes and jobs, teenage pregnancy is spiraling out of control (so apparently, more people need to advertise condoms...a lot of people are surprised to hear me condone condom use because I'm Catholic; of course, I think people should chaste, but if you just can't control yourself, use protection!), bullying is showing nasty side effects (all these children committing suicide...a child? Taking his/her own life because of emotional pain? We've got to do something), gangs are still prevalent, I don't know what has happened to girls' self esteem (you can be proud of your body, but leave somethin to the imagination...don't just let it all hang out and get mad at a guy for staring or touching), and music videos are getting out of control! I have never seen so much violence and booty in my life. Music artists have so much influence, especially on the youth, that they can do so much good. While it's ideally the family that controls how a child comes out, some children look to peers or their idols for what is right...why not point them in the right (or at least, the most constructive) way? Poor babies...they...we (people my age, too) are lost to the whims of a progressive society moving on a not-the-best path.

What do you think about the entertainment industry and its effect on today's youth (4-23 yrs)?

No comments:

Post a Comment